Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Volunteer Spotlight: Ashley Bobey, Alpha Program

Hi, my name is Ashley Bobey, and I was an intern with the Alpha Program.

I heard about BCI through Jenna Theibault Dean, counselor at the Newark site. Jenna and I met at West Chester University's Masters program in Clinical Psychology, and subsequently became great friends. When Jenna learned that I was looking for an internship for school, she suggested I contact BCI. Prior to beginning my internship, I did not know much about BCI. I was surprised to learn how many different programs there are.

During my internship, I ran the addiction education group on a weekly basis, as well as other groups as needed by the counselors. I completed treatment plans, discharge summaries, and occasional counseling sessions, as well as other odds and ends as needed.

Prior to my internship experience, the bulk of my work experience was with children with developmental disorders (i.e. Autism), and I was looking to expand my horizons. Working in the drug and alcohol field proved to be a valuable experience. BCI was a fantastic place to complete my internship. Everyone was very helpful, and I was able to take on projects at my own pace. I would recommend interning at BCI to anyone who is motivated to learn a lot during the experience.

Since the completion of my internship, I have gotten a full time job at BCI at the Lancaster site as an Intake Counselor. While I have not been in the position long, I am thoroughly enjoying it thus far. I feel very lucky to be part of the BCI team.

No comments: